Saturday, April 27, 2019

A THOUSAND WORDS

Courtesy Photo by Brittani Burns, Unsplash
What do you see in this photo? What is the first word, thought or emotion that comes to mind?
Let your imagination run wild!

I’ve heard many times that a picture is worth a thousand words.  The phrase is an old English adage that has been repeated for over one hundred years.  I am often captivated by art in any form, whether staring intently at a piece of art, a photograph or graffiti. 
Although writing is my first love, I’m always in awe of painters, designers, actors/actresses, and dancers.  For this blog I’ve chosen to display different photos, to engage you, to incite emotion, provoke thought and to share different perspectives while we were set our sights on the same image.
My first thought after seeing this photo is Tunnel Vision.  More importantly what tunnel vision represents, the tendency to *focus exclusively on a single or limited goal or point of view.  As a writer I adopted the concept of tunnel vision very early on.  My mother often jokingly referred to me being “in the zone” during my writing.  Having the ability to block out all distractions to concentrate on a particular project, idea or goal can be both a gift and a curse.
Allowing an individual to succumb to a laser sharp focus on a specific idea or point of view has led to great inventions, activists, politicians and artists.  However, that same dedication directed towards more destructive goals leg to genocide, the downfall of civilizations and many Americans paying for a border wall that we never asked for!

lenalandbooks@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment